Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuesday Tea Time

Tea and I go way back. When I was little, my mom would have tea with her friends and they would chat and I got to tag along. Even as a child, I had tea too – in a china cup. Tea tastes better in a china cup or at least a special cup. Coffee and tea are for slowing time, energizing the mind, being in the now, and for being together. It can aid in opening the self to another person or a meditative opening the self to the self. Fixing a cup of tea when I get to the studio is a ritual I have that helps me settle in and get focused on the task at hand (sometimes I have inadvertently dipped a brush in the cup...oops!).
I like to draw and paint cups and their saucers. Their myriad shapes, colors and patterns are easily invented in my mind’s eye, a fantasy cup or perhaps a memory of one filtered through my imagination. Above is one of my illustrations of a hot cup of tea. You are invited to join me here for tea each Tuesday.

No comments: